Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Taking notes ....



I am a notorious note taker when it comes to reading books, but it's because I want to remember so many things. Although I always read for pleasure, almost all the books I read end up being reviewed. I have a separate notebook I keep all the notes from books I'm reviewing. I also am a huge fan of "sticky notes" so my books are usually crammed full of them. This helps me when I'm looking for a specific passage I want to use in a review.

When I started doing book reviews over 8 years ago, it was mainly going to be a way for me to keep track of the 100s of books I read every year. Before my illness, I was receiving review books in the mail, especially from Kentucky Monthly Magazine. You don't know what a rush it is for a "book whore" like me to find a box of books on my doorstep!

For many years, I accepted any and all offers to read and review books, but I learned this was not going to work for me. I was getting such a wide variety of books I was overwhelmed. Although I occasionally enjoy a self-help book on certain topics, many of the books I received were just that. I was also receiving many self-published books - which there is nothing wrong with - but many of these books could do with a good editor.

I finally realized I had bitten off more than I could chew - or read - so I quit requesting every new book that came down the pipeway. Now I only review books I think I will truly be interested in and my life is much happier and not as hectic.

I  have a  great appetite for Kentucky authors and I try to read all I can get my hands on. I just finished reading and reviewing Next Door to the Dead by Kathleen Driskell and Love & Ordinary Creatures by Gwyn Hyan Rubio. I am currently reading Kentucky's Everyday Heroes Vol. 4 by Steve Flairty and Haunt Couture and Ghost Galore by Rose Pressey.


.



No comments:

Post a Comment